Mothers are like glue — even when you can’t see them — they’re still holding the family together.
Yesterday, I posted an investigation, and long argument, that James HEMINGWAY is (probably) not my great-grandfather, Hamer Henry HEMINGWAY. [For you late arrivals, Hamer was the father of my maternal gram, Grace Ethel (HEMINGWAY) ATKINSON.].
We will take one more glance into this family … and put some stray pieces into the puzzle to complete some more of the picture.
Mary Elizabeth (HEMMINGWAY) [1:DISHER] 2:BOWMAN
- daughter, b. abt1872, as per 1881 UK Census, of Elizabeth CARDWELL and George HEMMINGWAY
- married; ON, Niagara, Pelham w/husband, Stephen DISHER;
- 07FEB1901: death of husband, Stephen O. DISHER (57yo), as per gravestone;
- APR1901 CDN Census – ON, Niagara, Pelham: Margaret E. DISHER, (29yo) widow w/2 sons, Oscar O. (7) and Hamer A. (5), and daughter Grace E. (3);
- 17FEB1909 Border Crossing card CAN – Niagara Falls, NY: destination – Buffalo, Erie, NY
- appearance: 5foot 4inches, golden hair, blue eyes w/no distinguishing marks;
- daughter, Grace
- APR1911 CDN Census – ON, Niagara, Pelham: Mary BOWMAN (39yo) married w/son “Homer BOWMAN” (15) and daughter Grace (13) NOTE: Grace upon top of next page
- 11MAY1918 Border Crossing card CAN – Niagara Falls, NY: destination – Buffalo, NY
- appearance: 5foot 5inches, brown hair and eyes, ruddy complexion w/no distinguishing marks;
- CAN red AND write;
- “immigrated 4-10-1884” to CAN: seaport – Halifax, NS;
- birthplace: Hoyland Common, UK; b.abt1871 (47yo @11MAY1918);
- daughter, Grace DISHER residing in St. Catherine’s, ON
- 27MAR1935: named on death certificate of Elizabeth BEAUMONT
- married; living in Buffalo, Erie, NY;
- 1940 US Census – NY, Erie, Buffalo: Mary E. (68) w/2nd husband, Avery (79; b.abt1861 Canada) and 4 lodgers;
- 1940-1947 (estimate): death of 2nd husband, Avery;
- 02APR1947: died, buried w/1st husband in Pelham, Niagara, ON
Martha Ann HEMMINGWAY
- b.abt1874, as per 1881 UK Census
- mother of George W. HEMMINGWAY, the “1yo step grandson” from the 1891 UK Census;
Sarah Ann HEMMINGWAY
- b.abt1876, as per 1881 UK Census
Frances Miranda HEMMINGWAY
- b.abt1879, as per 1881 UK Census
Odd Man Out
My great-grandfather, Hamer was b.abt1877 and would fit in between Sarah Ann and Frances Miranda, but, evidently, he is NOT here.
Another 1881 UK Census (Tankersley Parish, Chapeltown District) has a young Hamer (14), as a son to another Hamer (60yo) and his (second?) wife, Sarah (47) w/the following six children: Joe (17), “Hamor”, Charles (12), Florence (10), Alice HEMMINGWAY (5), and Sarah Ann (HEMMINGWAY) WIGFIELD. NOTE: daughter, Sarah Ann (22) is married; with two daughters of her own: Laura (5) and Gertrude (3).
Only one problem with this 1881 census: “Hamor” is 14yo; if he were my grandfather, he would only be 4yo.